- Responding to complaints involving animals or animal cruelty.
- Responding to complaints of nuisance or roaming animals.
- Enforcing State Statutes and City Ordinances in regards to animals and animal control.
- Redeeming found or seized animals to their owners.
- Arranging for the adoption of found or abandoned animals that have not been claimed.
- Removal of deceased animals.
Except for suspected rabid animal complaints, the Animal Control Officer normally responds only to incidents involving domesticated animals. Although every complaint is evaluated on a case by case basis, many times a wildlife rehabilitator or animal removal service may be a more appropriate course of action.
Redeeming Dogs Found or Seized
Dogs that were found or seized may be redeemed to their rightful owners during business hours. After hours and on weekends redemption is by appointment only. An Assistant Animal Control Officer is available for redemption from 5:00pm to 10:00pm during the week and from 9:00am to 12:00pm on weekends. To redeem an animal after hours or on weekends, call Litchfield County Dispatch at (860) 489-2008. We will then contact an Assistant Animal Control Officer who will then contact you.
Note: No dogs will be redeemed without proof of licensure and immunization.
Adoption of Animals
Anyone wishing to adopt an animal in the custody of the Animal Control Officer must make an appointment during business hours only.
We have many cats and dogs that we have that would love a new home. Please contact the Torrington Animal Control Officer for more information. Photos and descriptions of our pets that are available for adoption will be made available soon.
Pets are adopted on a first come first served basis.