You must be a resident of the City of Torrington in order to apply for a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers in Torrington. You may pick up the application at the Records Division during business hours. Complete the Temporary Pistol Permit Application and return it to the Records Bureau of the Torrington Police Department, accompanied by the following documents:
1. A Certificate of Competency issued to you by a State of Connecticut, Department of Environmental Protection, or National Rifle Association Certified Firearms Instructor.
The course of instruction must consist of no less than the NRA’s “Basic Pistol Course.” The NRA’s “Home Firearms Safety Course” and “First Steps Pistol Orientation Program” are not approved courses.
2. Completed applicant fingerprint card.
Fingerprints are taken on Wednesdays from 10:00am to 2:00pm by the Torrington Police Dept. No appointment necessary. You are not required to use this fingerprinting service.
3. Three (3) letters of character reference from persons known by you for at least three (3) years, who can attest to your character and stability.
No relatives or Torrington Police Officers.
4. Photo identification (CT driver's license preferred), and your birth certificate, passport, or naturalization papers.
(These items are for identification, and will be copied and returned to you.)
5. You will need a total of 4 money orders or certified bank checks. No personal checks or cash.
One (1) money order or certified check for $13.25
One (1) money order or certified check for $75.00
It is recommended that you wait until you turn in your application to make out the above two checks because the payee may be different.
One (1) money order or certified check for $70.00 made payable to the City of Torrington.
One (1) money order or certified check for $25.00 made payable to "City of Torrington -Torrington Police". (for fingerprinting if you choose to use this service.)
6. Applicant must be 21 years of age.
***** Note: Application form must be notarized *****
You can expect a waiting period of approximately 12-18 weeks for your application to be processed and a temporary permit issued to you. Once the temporary permit has been issued, you have 60 days to apply for a state permit. The temporary permit cannot be renewed.
Our Records Division is open/ Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed 8:00am to 3:30pm
Thurs 8:00am to 6:00pm
Fri 8:00am to 12:00pm
Telephone: (860) 489-2020
Click the following link for additional information on obtaining a Connecticut State Pistol Permit: https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/State-Pistol-Permit